Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blend It

We've had many discussions in our household over the years about having a liquid diet.  I'm not talking about coffee and beer here. Although, I know that's what you were thinking.  In our cottage, as in most, we struggle with ways to eat all of our fruits and veggies.  We're reminded constantly about the benefits and pure need for our bodies to ingest 7-10 servings a day.  That being said, it's not easy.  My father always said he had to retire in order to eat all of his fruits and veggies and drink his daily allotted water.  He's right, in a sense, it's hard to fit it all in. I'm lucky if I floss once a week and I snicker when the dentist tilts his head with that mask on and says in a muffled voice, "are you flossing every day?" I usually reply, "no, I'm lucky I showered today", and that's true!  


We're all busy and need to find a balance in our lives to keep ourselves healthy.  Regular exercise and a healthy diet are so important, and if you're one of the lucky ones, flossing.  With fruits and vegetables, an easy rule to follow is eat the rainbow.  Of course, if there was a pot of chocolate at the bottom we would have an easier time following through.  Fortunately, I am back as a proud blender owner. My brief 3 month hiatus due to an attempt to remedy my leaking blender was a huge waste of time.  Good old, "Fifty Years of Quality", Waring, has not redeemed themselves. I've moved on and am back in the smoothie-making saddle. Here's the great thing about smoothies, fruit contains just as many nutrients as vegetables, and tastes better too. So, you could go on a liquid diet with a good old fashioned blender. At least you can squeeze part of rainbow into a good blender drink.  Cheers!


Here are a few of my favorites:


High Protein Peanut Butter Banana
  • 1/2 cup low fat milk
  • 1/2 cup 2% greek yogurt (I prefer this yogurt since it's higher in protein)
  • 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp honey (go for raw honey if you can)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 banana
Kid's Favorite
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's vanana yogurt (yes, vanana)
  • 1 carrot
  • orange juice (pour enough to cover the other ingredients) 
Tamara's Early Morning Energy Smoothie
  • 1 cup low fat milk
  • 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
  • 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter 
  • 1 frozen banana
  • optional--1 scoop of protein powder

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This is timely; I just ordered a Vita-Mix. I can't afford one, but at the same time, I can't afford not to have one. I'll try your recipes (veganized) when it gets here. I'm counting the days until I can finally smash my crappy blender (it gets burning hot and stinky as if it's working really hard, but it barely does any actual blending) into a billion pieces. Or maybe I'll just throw it away, like a normal person. Thanks for the reminder to floss, by the way. Every time I'm at the dentist, I tell him I PROMISE I will start flossing regularly, starting today; and I tell him he can yell at me at the next appointment if I haven't. Thank goodness, he never takes me up on the yelling thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now I have blender envy, Polly! You could always Freecycle your old blender :)

    ReplyDelete